(PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; MEd Seattle University) has been a teacher and teacher trainer in the field of TESOL for over 15 years. He has lived and worked in China, Japan, Thailand, Albania, and the US. Over the previous two years, Andy has taught English for Academic Purposes courses at the University of Oregon, and he has also been involved in online teacher training work through the eLearning Program. Andy’s research interests relate to the use of social media for language learning and how social media interaction online enhances plurilingual competencies. Aside from work with the University of Oregon, Andy is also an English Language Specialist with the US State Department as well as a site reviewer for CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation).
- Halvorsen, A. (Forthcoming). Technology use and language teaching practice: Divergent teacher viewpoints on classroom technology integration in Thailand. In Chin-His, L., Zhang, D. & Zheng, B. (Eds.), Preparing Foreign Language Teachers for Next Generation Education. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2015). Differentiated instruction and project based learning. ORTESOL News, 38 (3), 6. Retrieved from http://ortesol.org/documents/ORTESOL_2015_Fall_Newsletter.pdf
- Halvorsen, A. (2014). Facebook usage in Thailand: The plurilingual competencies of Thai high school students and teachers (Doctoral Dissertation). University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Halvorsen, A. (2012). Patterns of emoticon usage in ESL students’ discussion forum writing. CALICO, 29 (4), 694-717.
- Halvorsen, A. (2009). Social networking sites and critical language learning. In Thomas, (Ed.), Web 2.0 and Second language Learning. IGI global: Hershey, PA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2015). Top Web 2.0 tools for language instructors: An Overview. Presented at TRI-TESOL, Des-Moines, WA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2014). The plurilingual competencies of Thai high-school students: Diverse language use in socially networked contexts. Presented at CALICO, Athens, Ohio.
- Halvorsen, A. (2013). Language harmony and ASEAN 2015: Post colonial perspectives from Thailand. Presented at The Future of English in Asia, Hong Kong, China.
- Halvorsen, A. (2013). Distance education in Thailand: Broadcasting primary and secondary school lessons across the country. Presented at Cambodia TESOL, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Halvorsen, A. (2012). Facebook and language learning: Multilingual patterns of Facebook participation among Thai high-school students. Presented at ASIA CALL 2012, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam.
LT courses taught
- LT 436/536 Language Teaching Planning