(PhD University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; MEd Seattle University) has been a teacher and teacher trainer in the field of TESOL for over 15 years. He has lived and worked in China, Japan, Thailand, Albania, and the US. Over the previous five years, Andy has taught English for Academic Purposes courses at the University of Oregon, and he has also been involved in online teacher training work through the American English Institute. Andy’s research interests relate to the use of social media for language learning and how social media interaction online enhances plurilingual competencies. Aside from work with the University of Oregon, Andy is also an English Language Specialist with the US State Department and is serving, from 2019-2021, as a commissioner for CEA (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation).
- Halvorsen, A. (2018). English or Englishes? In Volker, J. (Ed.), New Ways in Teaching Speaking. TESOL Press: Alexandria, Virginia.
- Halvorsen, A. & Kellem, K. (2018). Understanding and utilizing Form-Focused Instruction in the language classroom. ORTESOL Journal, 35, 27-35.
- Halvorsen, A. (2016). Plurilingual competencies and the appropriation of English in the online discourse of Thai high school students. In M. Fellin & T. Bennet (Eds.), Transcultural Flows in English Language Education in Asia. Lexington Books: NY.
- Halvorsen, A. (2016). Technology use and language teaching practice: Divergent teacher viewpoints on classroom technology integration in Thailand. In Chin-His, L., Zhang, D. & Zheng, B. (Eds.), Preparing Foreign Language Teachers for Next Generation Education. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2015). Differentiated instruction and project based learning. ORTESOL News, 38(3), 6. Retrieved from http://ortesol.org/documents/ORTESOL_2015_Fall_Newsletter.pdf.
- Halvorsen, A. (2012). Patterns of emoticon usage in ESL students’ discussion forum writing. CALICO, 29 (4), 694-717.
- Halvorsen, A. (2017). Effective faculty review in IEP Contexts. Presented at TESOL, Seattle, WA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2017). Designing and implementing effective evaluation procedures for language teaching faculty. Presented at (LTE) Conference on Language Teacher Education, Los Angeles, CA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2016). Effective assessment practices in asynchronous online discussions. Presented at (AACE) Association for the Advancement of Computers in Education, Washington, DC.
- Halvorsen, A. (2015). Top Web 2.0 tools for language instructors: An Overview. Presented at TRI-TESOL, Des-Moines, WA.
- Halvorsen, A. (2014). The plurilingual competencies of Thai high-school students: Diverse language use in socially networked contexts. Presented at CALICO, Athens, Ohio.
- Halvorsen, A. (2013). Language harmony and ASEAN 2015: Post colonial perspectives from Thailand. Presented at The Future of English in Asia, Hong Kong, China.
LT courses taught
- LT 436/536 Language Teaching Planning
- LT 611 Master’s Project
- LT 608 Computer Assisted Language Learning