Deborah Healey (Ph.D. Computers in Education, MA Linguistics, University of Oregon) has been teaching ESL/EFL for over 40 years and using technology in education for over 25 years. She has worked and lived in Yemen and has given teacher training workshops in Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and South America. She held a number of positions at the English Language Institute at Oregon State University, including Director of the ELI, during her nearly 30 years there. Now at the University of Oregon, she spends a lot of time in teacher training online as part of the eLearning program at the AEI. She is a co-developer and co-instructor of the UO’s first massive open online course (MOOC). She is currently on the TESOL Board of Directors. A former co-editor of ORTESOL Journal, she is also a member of American Educational Research Association (AERA) and Computer-assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO). Her website is http://pages.uoregon.edu/dhealey
- Healey, D. (accepted; in press). Review of A constructivist approach to the NETS for teachers. Language Learning & Technology.
- Healey, D. (2016). Language learning and technology: Past, present, and future. In F. Farr and L. Murray (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of language learning and technology, pp. 9-23. New York: Routledge.
- Healey, D. (2015). Technology-enhanced learning environments. TESOL encyclopedia of English language teaching.
- Healey, D. (2015). TESOL technology standards. TESOL encyclopedia of English language teaching.
- Healey, D. (2013). Training of trainers. Entry in Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Malden, MA: Wiley.
- US Department of State. (2012). Trace Effects. Lead scriptwriter for this virtual reality computer game.
- Healey, D. (2012). Planning a distance education course for language teachers: What administrators need to consider. In L. England (Ed.), Online language teacher education: TESOL perspectives. New York: Routledge.
- Technology training for teachers: two days of workshops for language program and content area faculty at Centro de Idiomas, Universidad de la Frontera. Temuco, Chile; November-December 2016.
- Technology training for teachers: week-long session for language program faculty at Centro de Idiomas, Universidad de la Frontera. Temuco, Chile; June 2016.
- English Language Teacher Training and Certification Program: Two sets of 2-day workshops on project-based learning in four sites. Ramallah, Hebron, Nablus, (via digital videoconference) Gaza; January and May, 2016.
- TESOL 2016: Online Course Development in MOOCs: Canvas Network; Tea with Distinguished TESOLers (invited presenter); Shaping the Way We Teach English: The MOOC (co-presenter); History of the Electronic Village: Typologies in CALL; CALL for Newcomers (co-presenter). Baltimore, April.
LT courses taught:
- LT608 CALL; LT548/448 Discussion (CALL)