(EdD, University of San Francisco; MA, San Francisco State University) has been teaching English as a second/foreign language in higher education for the past 25 years in the U.S. and in Thailand. She has conducted numerous teacher training workshops and courses in the U.S. as well as in South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Pakistan, Egypt, and Colombia. Her interests include intercultural communication, pronunciation instruction, English as medium of instruction at international universities, and testing/training international teaching assistants.
- Yerian, K., Mikhaylova, A., Pashby, P., & Kato, M. (in press). Non-native and native speakers’ perceptions of professional language development in a Language Teaching MA Program. TESOL Quarterly.
- Pashby, P. (2015). Classroom scenes from hell: A little levity (courtesy of Hollywood) in the ITA training class. The Newsletter of the TESOL International Teaching Assistants Interest Section. June 2015.
- Pashby, P. & Tibbits, B. (2014). The story reading project: Integrating language learning and teaching for NNES teachers in training. In S. Garton and K. Graves International Perspectives in ELT Materials. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Pashby, P. & Heitman, C. (2013). Strategies for developing independent student pronunciation learning. As We Speak…The Newsletter of the TESOL Speech, Pronunciation, and Listening Interest Section. September 2013.
- Pashby, P. & Cross, K. (2009). The survey game. In M. Andrade (ed.) TESOL Classroom Practice Series: Language Games (pp. 79-85). Alexandria, VA: TESOL.
- “Online Resources Supporting International Graduate Student Writing”, TESOL 2018, Chicago
- “Reframing ‘Language Development’ as ‘Professional Language Development’: Addressing Native and Non-Native Teacher-Trainee Needs in a Language Teaching MA Program” w/ Keli Yerian, Anna Mikhaylova, Misaki Kato International Conference on Language Teacher Education 2017, Los Angeles
- “ESP Supporting EMI (English as a Medium of Instruction)” w/ Kay Westerfield, TESOL 2016, Baltimore
- “Strategies for Fostering Independent Student Pronunciation Learning” w/ Char Heitman, TESOL 2015, Toronto
- “Non-Native and Native Speakers’ Perceptions of Professional Language Development Opportunities within a Language Teaching MA Program” w/ Keli Yerian, Anna Mikhaylova, AAAL 2014, Portland
- “Issues, Identity, and Innovation in NNES Teacher Education” w/ Anne Walker, Bedretten Yazan, Sreemall Hedreth, TESOL 2013, Dallas
- “Readers’ Theater: Integrating Language Learners and Teaching for NNS Trainees”, TESOL 2012, Philadelphia
- “Innovative Pre-Practicum Course for MA Students” w/ Laura Holland, Tri-TESOL 2011, Des Moines, WA
- “Exploring and Learning Vocabulary Through Authentic Texts” (Six-hour Pre-Convention Institute workshop) w/ Alicia Going, TESOL 2011, New Orleans
LT courses taught:
- LT 528 (Culture, Language, and Literature)
- LT 541 (Teaching Pronunciation)
- LT 535 (Teaching Methods)
- LT 536 (Teaching Practice)
- LT 548 (Curriculum Design)
- LT 611 I and II (Master’s Project)