(MA, San Francisco State University) has been involved with language teaching in higher education for 20 years. His interest areas include computer assisted language learning (CALL), uses of digital video in instruction, teacher and teacher-assistant (TA) training, as well as oral communication and pronunciation instruction. He has been involved in designing and teaching online teacher development courses since 2008, working with instructors from around the globe in on-line courses. Most recently, he has been using his professional experience in the field of Language Revitalization while working with the Northwest Indian Language Institute at UO. He is the past chair of the TESOL interest section for Speech, Pronunciation and Listening (SPLIS).
Recent presentations and publications:
- Inspiring Future Language Leaders through Creating eBooks, with Damien Totus. National Indian Education Association, Anchorage 2014.
- Building Community through Collaboration in Online Environments. TESOL, Portland 2014.
- Developing Oral Assessment for Native Children: A Grassroots Approach, with Judith Fernandes and Kathy Cole. Stabilizing Indigenous Languages Symposium, Hilo, 2014.
- New Technologies Horizons for International Teaching Assistants. TESOL, Dallas, 2013.
- Technology Tips for Language Teachers. Stabilizing Indigenous Languages Symposium, Flagstaff, 2013.
- Pragmatic gestures in ITAs office hour simulations, with Keli Yerian. TESOL, Philadelphia, 2012.
- Functional tone choice in Mandarin speaking ITAs in office hour simulations. AAAL, Chicago, 2011.
- Transcending technical limitations in distance learning, with Deborah Healey and Char Heitman. TESOL, Boston, 2010.
- Producing video training tutorials for teachers and students, invited panelist. TESOL, Boston, 2010.
- Beyond the green zone: A report on a distance education project with Iraq, with Char Heitman. Sloan-C, San Francisco, 2009.
- Flip video cameras in the oral skills classroom, with Keli Yerian. TESOL, Denver, 2009.
- *Using Google My Maps for Classroom Projects (2009). TESL-EJ, Vol 12, Number 4.
- Voices from Nāwahī: A visit to a Hawaiian K-12 Immersion school (2014). Northwest Indian Language Institute, University of Oregon.
- Ichishkíin Language Video Series: Ichishkíin Breakfast (2013). Five 20 minute videos, Northwest Indian Language Institute, University of Oregon.
- Ichishkíin Language Video Series (2012): Patterns of Life; Cooking Potatoes; and Making a Sandwich (English Titles). Northwest Indian Language Institute, University of Oregon.
- Native Language Benchmarks (2012). Film project for Northwest Indian Language Institute, University of Oregon.
- Hawaiian Language Revitalization (2011). Film project for Northwest Indian Language Institute, University of Oregon.
- Teaching pronunciation: Tips from the Trade (2010). TESOL special project. Project Based Learning (2010). University of Oregon-State Department E-Teacher videos to accompany an on-line teacher training course.
- E-Teacher US State Department Video Project (2010). Project Based Learning, Video series to accompany UO on-line class on Project Based Learning.
LT courses taught:
- LT 608 (CALL)